On the face of it, the Viking city of York might seem too far north for a pre or post cruise extension but with the train ride taking just on 2 hours it becomes readily accessible for those looking for a unique living history experience. Topped and tailed with overnights in London, the 3 night programme includes:
- A sights, sounds and smells ride through Jorvik, an atmospheric recreation of the Viking-Age city
- A visit to the Great Hall where the medieval merchants first gathered to conduct business.
- The stunning medieval townhouse at Barley Hall.
- A close encounter with 18th century grandeur at the Fairfax House
- A mouth watering tasting tour of the Chocolate Story
- A visit to York Minster timed to include Choral Evensong
- A couple of nostalgic hours at the National Railway Museum
- The superb and colourful displays at the Quilt Museum and Gallery